“CMS announces $165 million in funding to move people from nursing homes to assisted living and other settings”

“CMS announces $165 million in funding to move people from nursing homes to assisted living and other settings,” by Lois A. Bowers,McKnight’s Senior Living Quote: “The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will make up to $165 million in supplemental funding available to states operating Money Follows the Person demonstration programs to help state Medicaid programs boost efforts to move older adults and people with disabilities from nursing homes and other institutional settings to home- and community-based settings, the agency announced Wednesday. … CMS Administrator Seema Verma said the effort is being driven by ‘the tragic devastation wrought by the
Read More

Categories: Clippings, GoldenCare News, and Industry News.

“Can You Pass the New York State COVID-19 Death Risk Test?”

“Can You Pass the New York State COVID-19 Death Risk Test?,” by Allison Bell,ThinkAdvisor Quote: “The New York State Office for the Aging is using the power of the online quiz to try to help people reduce their risk of dying from COVID-19. The agency has joined with the Association of Aging in New York and BellAge, a New York-based aging tech firm, to offer consumers a free, no-signup CV19 CheckUp assessment tool. The quiz includes questions about matters such as age, lifestyle and social distancing habits. The system then spits out four graphics. One graphic rates how well the
Read More

Categories: Clippings, COVID-19, GoldenCare News, and Industry News.

“True Freedom and GoldenCare USA Partner to Provide Seniors with Innovative Home Care Solutions”

“True Freedom and GoldenCare USA Partner to Provide Seniors with Innovative Home Care Solutions” Quote: “True Freedom announces our Preferred Marketer partnership with GoldenCare USA, an Integrity Marketing Group company. True Freedom is the only company that provides nationwide home care plans for seniors as an alternative to traditional insurance. GoldenCare and their western-states counterpart, American Independent Marketing, have been leading subject matter experts in long-term care for more than 40 years. By partnering together, they can now serve more Americans by providing unique options for long-term care.”   LTC Comment (from Stephen A. Moses, President, Center for Long-Term Care
Read More

Categories: Clippings, GoldenCare News, and Industry News.

“Nursing Homes Given Federal Go-Ahead To Allow More Visitors”

“Nursing Homes Given Federal Go-Ahead To Allow More Visitors,” by Ina Jaffe, National Public Radio Quote: “The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which regulate nursing facilities, are lifting the ban on visitors, effective immediately. CMS imposed the restriction in March in an effort to control outbreaks of the coronavirus. Advocates for nursing home residents and family organizations have been clamoring for a repeal, noting the many residents who have suffered anxiety or depression, as well as physical or mental decline since the ban was imposed. The issue was also raised in the report of the Coronavirus Commission for Safety and Quality
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“Opinion: Long-term care insurance: There’s no good alternative”

“Opinion: Long-term care insurance: There’s no good alternative,” by Howard Gold, MarketWatch Quote: “But when you look at it, it’s hard to avoid Gulden’s conclusion: ‘If you want a plan that is really designed for long-term care insurance, then you go with long- term care insurance, if you can afford it, and also if you qualify.’ It’s still the best choice among a lot of not-so-great alternatives.”       LTC Comment (from Stephen A. Moses, President, Center for Long-Term Care Reform): This article defends and advocates for traditional LTC insurance.    
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“Federal Nursing Home Commission Calls on CMS to Adopt 27 Recommendations”

“Federal Nursing Home Commission Calls on CMS to Adopt 27 Recommendations, ‘Reduce Suffering’,” by Alex Spanko, Skilled Nursing News Quote: “The solutions target a list of seven overarching problems or improvement areas that the group identified in its analysis: Ongoing supply and affordability dilemmas related to testing, screening, and personal protective equipment (PPE) Tension between rigorous infection control measures and quality of life issues that exist in cohorting and visitation policies A call for transparent and accessible communications with residents, their representatives and loved ones, and the public Urgent need to train, support, protect, and respect direct-care providers Outdated infrastructure
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“Lapse In Long-Term Care Insurance Doesn’t Necessarily Ruin Coverage”

“Lapse In Long-Term Care Insurance Doesn’t Necessarily Ruin Coverage,” by Diane Omdahl, Forbes Quote: “In a previous post, I shared my father Rusty’s experience with long-term care (LTC) insurance. He purchased a policy when he was almost 65 years old. Ten years later, he was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Sometime around age 85, he started analyzing how much he was paying for all his coverage – Medicare, a retiree plan, and LTC policy – and determined that he was over-insured. He didn’t need the LTC policy, he thought, because Medicare and his retiree coverage would take care of him, a common fallacy. So,
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“A win for long-term care: Providers applaud withdrawal of MFAR proposal”

“A win for long-term care: Providers applaud withdrawal of MFAR proposal,” by Danielle Brown, McKnight’s LTC News Quote: “Providers cheered federal health officials’ decision to withdraw a proposal they warned could cut up to $50 billion nationwide from the Medicaid program annually. The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services announced Monday that it’s rescinding the proposed Medicaid Fiscal Accountability Rule (MFAR). CMS Administrator Seema Verma in a tweet said the agency ‘listened closely to concerns that have been raised by our state and provider partners about potential unintended consequences of the proposed rule, which require further study. Therefore, CMS is withdrawing the rule
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“Missed Vaccines, Skipped Colonoscopies: Preventive Care Plummets”

“Missed Vaccines, Skipped Colonoscopies: Preventive Care Plummets,” by Sarah Kliff, New York Times Quote: “When the coronavirus pandemic hit, Americans vastly scaled back their preventive health care, and there is little sign that this deferred care will be made up. Vaccinations dropped by nearly 60 percent in April, and almost no one was getting a colonoscopy, according to new data from the nonprofit Health Care Cost Institute. … Americans continued seeking care they couldn’t avoid — hospital admissions for childbirth, for example, held steady — but skipped care they could put off. More invasive preventive procedures, such as mammograms and
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.

“Ken Dychtwald: 75% of Households Could Face a Big Retirement Shock”

“Ken Dychtwald: 75% of Households Could Face a Big Retirement Shock,” by Jane Wollman Rusoff, ThinkAdvisor Quote: “Given the impact of the coronavirus pandemic, there’s a chance that in retirement, only 25% of all U.S. working households will be able to maintain their current standard of living unless they work longer, move to lower-cost housing and reduce many other expenditures, argues Ken Dychtwald, co-founder and CEO of Age Wave, in an interview with ThinkAdvisor. … A very small percentage of the American population has an employer paying for a pension, and savings rates have been scary low. We did a
Read More

Categories: Clippings and Industry News.