NGL Final Expense Trust in Indiana
Effective immediately, a new state-specific trust, the NGL Final Expense Trust, has been implemented as a replacement for the Funeral Expense Trust in Indiana.
- A new state-specific trust form is now available for use with the Final Expense Trust.
- While Funeral Expense Trust forms in Indiana will still be accepted until November 1, 2017, please begin to use the new Final Expense Trust form immediately. By choosing to use the old form, you run the risk of jeopardizing your client’s eligibility to qualify for Medicaid.
- Clients can irrevocably assign ownership of their Indiana policies (up to the state maximum of $10,000) to the Final Expense Trust to protect their policy funds and potentially exclude the policy from their assets when attempting to qualify for Medicaid.* This $10,000 maximum does not require a preneed contract.
- IN Medicaid (FSSA) has also indicated that you may assign $5,000 more ($15,000 total) if:
- The client is over the age of 55;
- All excess goes to the estate; and,
- A contract is completed for the $15,000, $5,000 of which is required to be burial space items.
New Final Expense Trust forms and materials are immediately available to order, print or download from your Supplies page at MyNGLIC.com.
If you have additional questions, please contact NGL’s dedicated Life Product Support team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*While NGL does not endorse the practice of writing policies on family members in order to spend-down assets, the state of Indiana has indicated that this may be acceptable, as long as the policy is written for $10,000 or less, and a goods and services contract with burial space items only is provided at time of qualification.