Underwriting Tip: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- A woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every two minutes in the U.S.
- There are 316,120 new cases of breast cancer expected to be diagnosed in the year 2017, whereas 40,610 are expected to die.
- Breast cancer is the second leading cause of death among women.
- Each year it is estimated that over 220,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer and more than 40,000 will die.
- Although breast cancer in men is rare, an estimated 2,150 men will be diagnosed with breast cancer and approximately 410 will die each year.
Far more aggressive screening has increased early detection rates which has led to increased survival rates. These advances in the past 10 years have not gone unnoticed by life insurers.
Sentinel offers the New Vantage III to those who have completed their last cancer treatment (surgery, radiation, chemotherapy). There is no waiting period for your client to qualify for our modified product.
Sentinel also offers the New Vantage I to those whose last treatment was more than three years ago. These clients may still be taking a medication, like tamoxifen, for 5 years after treatment but Sentinel considers the risk to be much lower at year three.
The oldest description of cancer was discovered in Egypt and dates back to approximately 1600 BC. The Edwin Smith Papyrus describes 8 cases of tumors or ulcers of the breast that were treated by cauterization.